Monday, October 26, 2015

Is your glass full or empty?

It's getting really crazy now! I have just been getting things worked out a lot lately for the next transfer and it is just weird to think that I won't be here for it! There are going to be some big changes here in St. Lucia and as the ZL it's my job to get everybody ready for them! I hope I can do alright with that! 
This week was good but pretty busy! We had 2 baptisms in the zone on saturday and so we went to both of those and I said some goodbyes to some of the members down there in Vieux fort that I got to know a little bit. It was good!
Another highlight of this week was when we took the sacrament to Brother and Sister Joseph. Sister Joe is bedridden due to a stroke that she got 8 days after they were sealed in the temple in the Dominican Republic. They have remained extremely faithful since then. Brother Joe is the Elders Quorum President and never misses. If Sister Joe has a day that she isn't feeling well and Brother Joe wants to stay home with her, Sister Joe will make him go for at least sacrament. Over the last couple months we have been taking the sacrament over to sister Joe and it has been one of the most spiritual events of my entire mission. You walk in and you are just engulfed by the spirit! It is so strong there. They have such a great love for the Lord and you can just feel it. I want my home to be like that when I am older.
Something that I have also learned over the course of my mission was how important family is. I have seen that from so many different people in so many different family situations. Now I've seen positive and negative but we'll focus on the positive. I have seen so many families who just cling to each other because that simply is all that they have to cling to. And they are so happy. It reminds me of something that Uncle Boyd said once, “Sometimes in my growing years I thought we were poor, I later learned that that was not true. We just didn’t have any money. We were always rich in the things most significant in our lives.” They may not have any money or worldly possessions but they have the things that matter! Each other. I have become so grateful for my family over the last couple of years. I love them. I cannot wait to see them again. I'm hoping that I don't cry at the airport. That would be terribly embarrassing! Ha but in all reality that is one of my favorite souvenirs from my mission! I love my family! Family is truly where the real happiness is!
Something else that I experienced this week was as I was getting ready to take the sacrament and figuring out how I was going to do better next week I was really stressed because things weren't running very smoothly in the branch. So that distracted my thoughts a little and then as I was praying I asked, "Why is it so crazy here sometimes?" In a very direct way a thought popped into my mind, "Randon, maybe instead of focusing on what's going wrong. Try focusing on what's going right." That taught me a lot. There were so many things going right but I was just so focused on other things that I missed it. I know many times we get so stressed about things and worried about what is going wrong that we don't slow down to look around and see what is actually going right. I can promise that if we will do this it will bring so much more joy in our lives. No matter what is going on in our lives. Slow down and ask yourself, "Is my glass half full or empty?" It will help! And always remember "when upon life's billows you are tempest tossed. When you are discouraged thinking all is lost. Count your many blessings name them one by one. And it will surprise you what the Lord has done." I know that! I love you all! Have a great week! 
With Love,
Elder Smith

Included in these pictures: Trade off with Elder Dixon at a beach by Donavan's house! i got to be a witness at a baptism! Last time in the water! With my boi Dannus down in Vieux Fort. Had to say goodbye! Suit saturday! P-day Eve! Visiting Brother and Sister Joe! Hope you like them!












No comments:

Post a Comment